To: Sherman ISD Schoolboard
Date: December 6, 2009
Dear Dr. Hambrick,
The purpose of writing this letter is to submit my opinion that Slave Narratives should somehow be incorporated into your curriculum at Sherman High. The importance of the Slave Narrative as a learning tool has only recently been brought to my attention as I have been taking an English class fully dedicated to the subject at Austin College. Because of this, I am encouraged to convey how important the class has been to my learning and I feel your students would receive a simlar enjoyment and satisfaction in learning the material as I have.
By providing your students with the opportunity to study these works, they would be exposed to a crucial point in American history as well as African American literature. Slavery, a subject that is often taught in vague and broad terms, can be better understood with the study of the narratives of Frederick Douglass, Mary Prince, and Henry Bibb to name a few. The authors of these narratives provide a unique insight into history that cannot be ascertained through any other means of instruction. With the entry of the slave narrative into the classroom comes the inevitable exit of over 200 years of conjured misconceptions.
Thank you for considering my request, and I would enjoy the opportunity to elaborate on the intricacies of the matter in person.
Yours truly,
Jacob Travis
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

O.k. so reading Henry Bibb and other author's of slave narratives would rid the classroom of over 200 years of misconceptions. What kind of misconceptions? More importantly-why should the school board specifically incorporate Henry Bibb's Clotel into the classroom?
ReplyDeleteDo you think including a neo-slave narrative like we did in class be helpful to a class of highschool students learning about the slave narrative genre?
ReplyDelete